Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My love letter to Oprah

I know that some of you out there may not be a big fan of the Big O, but I am. And quite frankly I am not ashamed of it. Who would not like a self made woman? Who would not like a woman who has literally inspired the world? She has done things that millions of people only dream of. She has made her voice known on SO many issues that affect so many people. She has single handedly brought the love of reading to the fore front. She is an amazing force who brings important issues to light. She shows her true emotions, even when it gets her in trouble, and in the face of so much loss and despair she shows us stories of love and strength.

I remember racing home to be able to make it there before 4 and watching her show while my little sister did homework at the dining room table (which I was also supposed to be doing). I remember so many episodes that touched my heart and made me weep. I think the FIRST show I really remember was a show she did on unknown song lyrics. That is where I learned that the words TIN ROOF RUSTED were used in the song Love Shack. This was obviously before the Internet and 10 million search engines.

Her show remained strong and always had a sense of class while all of the other talk shows of the 90's reduced themselves to baby daddy's and fighting.

She helped to teach me to love myself, no matter what my weight. If Oprah struggles with weight, it must be a pretty hard battle to face, and I shouldn't HATE myself if I lose every now and then.

When I went to college in IL I promised myself I would go see an Oprah show, and I never did. KICKING MYSELF!!!!

When I watched Oprah I felt grown up, I felt like even though I was not ready to watch the evening news (still not sure if I am) I wanted to hear what Oprah had to say.

Her FIRST book club book selection was in 1996 and was The Deep End Of The Ocean. I made my mom go out and but me this MASSIVE book, and I read it. It took time and it was about a mother losing her child to abduction but I read it. I was 12.

So as you can see this strong independent woman has been inspiring me for quite a long time. If young women don't have strong role models who are doing what they think they want to do in the world, they don't know if their dreams are possible. I want to raise my children in a world where they know that no matter their color, their sex, their sexual orientation, the size of their dreams or the size of their wallets, they KNOW that anything is possible. ANYTHING.

So that is my love letter to Ms. Winfrey. She did her job well, and because of that...
I have been changed for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment